(2012 to present): First appointed as a mediator for the federal courts in 1999, Mark’s nationwide mediation practice includes state and federal actions involving:
- Intellectual property (patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets)
- Employment (class and individual cases)
- Consumer (class and individual cases)
- Commercial, antitrust, unfair competition and contract actions
- Insurance coverage and indemnification disputes
- Real estate transactions
- Business acquisition and dissolution disputes
Mark's work as a mediator has earned him a national listing among Best Lawyers in America for Mediation for successive years by U.S. News - Best Lawyers ®.
Mark also serves as the Director of Commercial Arbitration for Judicate West and serves as an arbitrator for any of these types of disputes.
Ross Stores, Inc.
Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary (Pleasanton, CA: 2007 to 2012). Ross is an S&P 500 and NASDAQ 100 company (ROST) and the second largest off-price retailer in the United States. As Ross’s general counsel, Mark:
- Managed all major litigation, including class and individual employment, intellectual property, privacy and contract litigation, as well as government and private investigations
- Established company-wide early dispute resolution program to accelerate disposition of all civil cases
- Created new intellectual property protection programs to acquire and maintain key IP assets and pursue enforcement actions as needed
Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, Inc. / Nestlé, S.A.
Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary (Oakland, CA: 2000 to 2007). Dreyer’s, now a subsidiary of Nestlé, S.A., is the largest U.S. manufacturer / distributor of ice cream products. Prior to merging with Nestle, Dreyer’s was a Fortune 1000 public company. As Dreyer’s general counsel, Mark:
- Managed all of Dreyer’s employment, contract, intellectual property, and commercial litigation
- Helped design and execute a two-stage merger transaction with Nestlé, S.A., combining Nestlé’s U.S. ice cream operations with Dreyer’s pre-existing operations
- Managed the defense and resolution of the Federal Trade Commission’s antitrust challenge to the Dreyer’s / Nestlé merger, as well as contemporaneous government investigations
- Negotiated multiple acquisitions of other brand, manufacturing and franchise businesses, as well as patents, trademarks and other technology rights
- Trained Nestlé international legal team on litigation management and dispute resolution
Freeland, Cooper, LeHocky & Hamburg
Principal (San Francisco, CA: 1987 to 2000). Here, Mark managed the complex litigation practice of this boutique law firm, prosecuting and defending intellectual property, employment, antitrust, commercial and class action disputes, representing clients including Apple, AT&T, Dreyer’s and Met Life.
Prior to the Freeland law firm, Mark honed his litigation skills at two other San Francisco law firms: Wilson, Ryan & Campilongo, and Khourie, Crew & Jaeger (formerly Broad, Khourie & Schulze).